What's On May 2017
• Bristol Music Club Clifton. Tuesday 2nd May at 7.30pm. 6 Klavierstücke, Op. 118 Brahms Piano Sonata No.31 Op 110, Beethoven Cello sonata "Arpeggione" D821 Schubert, Leah Leong cello, Francesa Orlando piano. Royal Academy Students
• Alzheimer / Dementia Café St Monica Trust, Oatley House Restaurant Cote Lane, Westbury on Trym. Free to attend for people living with dementia and their carer to come along together for an afternoon of music, socialising and afternoon tea. 3.30pm - 5.30pm. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Piano and Cello recital at St Alban's Church, Bayswater Avenue (BS6 7NU), Brian Mullan (Cello) and Claire Alsop (Piano). Beethoven 5th Cello Sonata, Bach Concerto in E, Walton Cello Concerto (Movement 1) and new music by Bristol composer Phil Dixon. 7.30pm £10 (£5) wine and nibbles.
• Badock’s Bird Group. Join the Friends of Badock’s Wood Bird Group on a stroll around Badock’s Wood. The Group monitors which birds live in or visit Badock’s Wood. 7 May at 10 - 11.30am
• 'Friends on Friday',dementia friendly cafe,for all those with dementia & their friends/family/carers;Friday 12th May,2-4pm,All Saints Church, Pembroke Road, Clifton. Come & join us for tea,cake & activities in a friendly,fun & supportive environment. email@example.com
May 13 & 14
• Free Annual Music Festival to be held at the Bristol Music Club Clifton. Details www.reallyclassicalrelay.co.uk
• Bugs & Butterflies. Led by Tony Smith and Nichola Davies, from the Bristol Naturalists’ Society. Learn how to collect and identify invertebrates in this family friendly event. Activity will be on the meadows in longish grass so wear suitable footwear and clothing. May 14 at 2 - 3.30pm
May 17 & 25
• We are Bristol U3A - a unique organisation offering friendship, fun and learning. If you have retired from full-time work and would like to learn a new skill, explore a new hobby, or just socialise - we have a wide range of groups with over 100 different activities, including art, computing, languages, gardens, music, books, walking, science and current affairs. Drop-in to one of our many social groups. Come to Browns Restaurant, by the Museum, at 10.15am on the 3rd Wednesday & 4th Thursday of every month, details: Jenny 0117 9043697. Or our coffee morning and talk in the Broadmead Baptist Church on the 3rd Tuesday at 10.00am. Please visit our website: www.bristolu3a.org.uk. If we’re going to live longer, make the most of it - don't let life pass you by!
• Redland Wind Band's spring concert will be on Saturday 20th May at The Redmaids’ School, featuring the world premiere of a piece commissioned for our 25 birthday! Tickets £9 or £11 on the door. Come and join us. www.redlandwindband.co.uk
• Badock’s Wood’s Hidden Treasures. Led by Frances Robertson. A general introduction to the wood and its wildlife with particular emphasis on the wildlife sculptures from the group’s Hidden Treasures Project for Bristol 2015 European Green Capital Year. May 21 at 2 - 3.30pm
• Avon Organic Group. The local group for everyone interested in organic gardening and organic foods. Our last meeting before the summer break is on Thursday, 25th May 2017, 7pm – 9pm at The Station (in the Dance Studio), Silver Street, Bristol. BS1 2AG. 25th May 2017: Talk "Pests & Diseases" with Tim Foster, local author & lecturer. We will be holding our annual Plant sale on the night so bring along any spare plants and seedlings too. All welcome. Visitors £5/Members £2. www.groworganicbristol.org / firstname.lastname@example.org
• The next meeting of the Elgar Society (South Western Branch) will be held on Sat. 27th May, at 2.15pm at the Bristol Music Club, 76, St. Paul's Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1LP The speaker on this occasion will be our Secretary, Michael Butterfield, and his talk, entitled "Elgar's Part Songs", will examine an aspect of Elgar's choral writing that may not be widely known. Please do come along if you enjoy Elgar's music. You will be made very welcomed. Visitors pay £3.00 (which includes refreshments). For more information please contact Doug Smith - Tel. 0117 9673480 or email - email@example.com
Regular events in our area
• Westbury on Trym Women’s Institute meet at WOT Methodist Church, Portland Lounge on the third Monday of the Month (not Aug.) from 2.00 – 4.00pm. Visitors Welcome. For more information call Sue on 01179502826.
• Latin Dance at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 7.30pm. Tel. 07785 797904
• Westbury Singers are a group of people who love to sing in four-part harmony. Meeting to rehearse Monday evenings during term time in the Reedley Road Baptist church. For information on joining please contact secretary Sarah Scott on 0117 9471436 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Canford Bowling Club, Canford Park, Westbury On Trym. All welcome on Monday’s from 6th April at 5.45pm. Flat-soled shoes please. Further information call 969 4532.
• Redland Wind Band rehearses at the Quakers Meeting Room on Gloucester Road at 7.30pm. We sometimes have vacancies, currently mainly for bass instruments, horns and percussionists. Contact Andy Brown at email@example.com or on 07594240269 or via our website www.redlandwindband.co.uk. Also get in touch if you would like to be put on our mailing list or would like to book us for events or fundraisers.
• Redland Green Choir meets for rehearsals every Monday 7.30pm-9.30pm at Redland Green School. We sing a wide variety of music. New members welcome: no auditions. For more information, visit www.rgscommunitychoir.wordpress.com or phone 0117 9443042.
• City Voices Bristol welcomes new members. A friendly mixed voice local choir singing a wide range of music rehearses at Red Maids School on Monday evenings. No previous experience and no auditions, just come along for a trial rehearsal. For more details contact the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cityvoicesbristol.com
• Would you like to learn to play Bridge completely free of charge? I will be starting my next Bridge for Beginners group in the Autumn meeting in Coombe Dingle. For further details please contact Terry Stygall on 9091714 or email email@example.com.
• RAFA, City of Bristol branch and club Eastfield Westbury on Trym for ex-RAF and associate members. Skittle Ally, parties and functions. Live entertainment on Saturday evenings. Open Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and evenings. Sundays noon till 5pm. All enquiries telephone 0117 3291913.
• Trinity Henleaze Ladies Guild meet fortnightly on Mondays at 7.30 pm in the Leonard Hall, Waterford Road. All welcome. For more information call Jenny Rich on 01179620108
• Henleaze Bowling Club welcomes new Members. If you are interested in taking up bowling, come along to our free Coaching sessions at 6pm on Monday evenings (from 25 April, excluding Bank Holidays) to see if the sport is for you. Henleaze is a friendly Club with very good facilities and a lively social programme throughout the year. Special introductory offer – £70 membership for first year (normally £95) and a free Club shirt. Phone the Secretary, Tom Logan, on 01179621669 for further details."
• Bridge for Beginners. Would you like to learn to play bridge completely free of charge and then continue to play with us in a gentle friendly atmosphere? I am starting a new beginner's group in Coombe Dingle this Autumn so why not join us? We meet on Monday and Thursday afternoons. Please contact Terry Stygall on 0117 9091714 or 07837300073, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
• Senior Film Club, every third Monday in the month at 2pm in St Peter's Hall, The Drive, Henleaze, BS9 4LD. All Welcome. Refreshments £3. Dial-a-ride transport possible by personal arrangement ; 0845 130 1875. Next gathering is on Monday May 15th, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" starring Audrey Hepburn.
• Bristol Good Afternoon Choir At Trinity-Henleaze URC. Every Monday 2-4pm (not in school holidays). www.goodafternoonchoir.org
• Redland Green Bowls Club welcomes new members, come along to our club on Redland green any Monday after 4pm , or book a free taster session with one of our qualified coaches. Jean or Gerry :Tel 9624466 . HALF price membership for the first year (£50)
• Westbury Walkers- Meet at Lloyds Chemist, Canford Land, WoT @ 9.20am on a Tuesday morning. New Walkers welcome! Please contact for further details: Jean Maish on 0117 3301194/07789741892, email email@example.com or Mary Ford mobile 07779448090 home 0117 9824623
• Alcoholics Anonymous meet at the Methodist Church in WoT every Tuesday @ 7.30pm
• Yoga at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 7.30pm.Tel: 07817 336188
• Ladies badminton at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 9.45 to 12 noon. Tel 0117 909 1714.
• LinkAge Tai Chi (55+) Are you looking for gentle active activity to keep your body and mind active? This is the class for you. Frank leads this relaxing and healthy session in a fun environment. Beginners welcome. 10am-11am. Studland Court, Henleaze. £3.50. Contact LinkAge on 0117 3533042 for more information.
• Scottish Country Dancing. Get fit and have fun with Westbury Scottish Club. Classes for beginners at Leonard Hall, Trinity-Henleaze URC, Waterford Road, Henleaze, (Tel: Maggie 01934 838175). Classes for more advanced dancers at St Peter's Church Hall, Henleaze, (Tel: Cheryl 0117 4012416). 7.30 to 9.30 pm. Details at wscbristol.co.uk.
• The Mosaic Singers are a compact group but would like to grow our line-up with an additional Soprano, Alto,Tenor and Bass.
One of each would be great. We rehearse in Stoke Bishop on Tuesday evenings, where a warm and friendly welcome is assured.
This need not be as heavy a commitment as with some choirs. In you would like to find out more, please phone David Vicary on 0797 346 0994.
• Melody Makers Baby Friendly Choir. A fun and friendly daytime choir for ladies with babies and toddlers. Tuesday 10:30-11:30am during term time at The Eastfield Inn, Henleaze Road. Membership only. Book a FREE taster - www.melodymakerschoir.co.uk
• St Peters of Henleaze Keep fit group would like to invite you to attend their weekly sessions every Tuesday at 9.30am. This is a men only group of 60-80 year olds who enjoy regular exercise taken by fitness Professional Natasha Leschinski for only £4 per session. Please contact Keith Bonham on 01179684972 or just turn up. We run the sessions all year round.
• Dance Fit, Tuesdays 12-1pm at St Peters Church Hall, The Drive, Henleaze. A fun fitness class with dance steps from salsa, cha cha, swing etc. Variety of music, 60's-80's, Latin, Pop, Big Band, World & more! No experience needed. Wear fitness clothes/trainers. FFI tel Cressida 0117 9391672/07808 581739.
• Henleaze Townswomen’s Guild meet at St Peter’s Church Hall, Henleaze on the first Wednesday of the month (except Aug) from 7.15pm. Call Shirley Phillips on 0117 962 2243. for further details.
• Local Winemaking & Social Club meets at the Common Room, Studland Court Elderly peoples residents on Henleaze Road from 8pm to 10pm on the second Wednesday of each month. They are a small and friendly group looking for new members. Evening include wine making, tasting and social events. Call Liz Johnson for further details on 0117 9508370
• Zumba Gold/Light (lower impact class) at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 5.30pm. www.bristoldancezumba.co.uk
• Zumba Fitness at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 6.35pm. www.bristoldancezumba.co.uk
• Stand and Deliver Youth Theatre at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 5pm. Tel: 07771 634060
• Bristol Cabot Probus Club for retired and semi-retired professional and business men to maintain contact and fellowship with people of similar interests. Group meets third Wednesday of each month at BAWA Club in Southmead Rd. Lunch is followed by a guest speaking on a wide range of interesting subjects. In June and December ladies join us for the lunch. Extensive programme of social events including holidays, day trips, Sunday lunches and skittles to which ladies are welcomed. We are principally a social meeting place and not based on charitable activities. Contact John Howard-Cairns for more details: 0117 968 3134.
• In Step Widows and Widowers Club meets weekly from 8-10pm at Stoke Bishop Village Hall. Call 9628895 orDonna on 01275 832676 for details.
• St Peter’s Ladies Guild meets in the hall, The Drive, Henleaze, at 2.15pm on the third Wednesday of the month. Speakers, refreshments, outings. New members welcome.
• Clifton Women’s Institute We meet at 7.30pm on the last Wednesday of the month at Alma Church, Alma Road, Clifton BS8 2ES. Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.cliftonwi.blogspot.co.uk Take advantage of our guest visits which are just £4 ( max.three per year) Better still why not join us and enjoy our fabulous Clifton WI 2016 programme for the whole year plus social clubs. Full membership details available. “ The WI plays a unique role in providing women with educational opportunities and the chance to build new skills, to take part in a wide variety of activities and to campaign on issues that matter to them and their communities”
• Henleaze Garden Club meet on the first Wednesday of each month in the Main Hall, St. Monica’s Trust, Cote Lane. Doors open 7pm for 7.30 start. Visitors are welcome: entry £5 (inc. refreshments). Details: www.henleazegardenclub.co.uk
• Bristol Think and xGrow Rich Meetup, 7:30-9:30pm at Cambridge Arms, Coldharbour Road, BS6 7JS. We are a friendly group supporting each other to achieve our personal goals, be they creative, entrepreneurial, adventuresome, a charitable project or otherwise. Each week we read a chapter from “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill to study, discuss and practise a skill that leads us to success. Join us and achieve your goals. Cost: £2 per meeting. For more information, contact Nicola on 07875 364910.
• Knitnatterstitch. Term time, Wednesdays 9.30 -11.30@the Coffee Bar, Trinity-Henleaze United Reformed Church, Waterford Road, Henleaze. Please contact Paula at email@example.com for details.
• Henleaze Garden Club meets on the first Wednesday of each month in the Main Hall, St Monica’s Trust, Cote Lane. Doors open 7pm for a 7.30 start. Details: www.henleazegardenclub.co.uk. 5 October: Philip Aubrey ‘Successful Fruit Growing – Grow Your Own Five a Day’ Philip was director of Birmingham Botanic Gardens for 20 years. He reshaped the Gardens to such an extent that the Queen Mother & Bill Clinton came to visit!
• Margaret Morris Movement dance/exercise Bradbury Hall, Henleaze. All welcome 1:00-2:00pm £4 per session, 1st free Tricia, 07896346486
• Henleaze Garden Club meets on the first Wednesday of each month in the Main Hall, St Monica’s Trust, Cote Lane. Visitors welcome – entry £5 (inc. refreshments)
• North West Bristol Camera Club are an enthusiastic group of amateur photographers who meet each Wednesday at 7:45pm at Westbury Fields, Greystoke Avenue. New members of any level of ability are most welcome. For details contact Pete on 07870589555.
• Why not join welsh national opera friend. We support this world class company and everyone is very
Welcome to join. We offer:monthly evening meetings at redmaids high school. Monthly on wednesdays at 7.15Pm-these are talks with music. Costs-friends £5.0 - There are many other benefits. For further information contact: Margaret borkowski:borkmail@gmail.Com
• Knit & Natter - Knit & Natter meets every Thursday between 10am and 12pm @ Methodist Church, WoT. Friendly, fun, and crafty people coming together to pursue their hobbies in a sociable environment.
• Henleaze Carers Group - A place to share experiences and make new friends. Meeting on the second and fourth Thursday morning of each month from 10am to 12 noon @ Bradbury Hall, Waterford Road, Henleaze. Call Mrs M Rudston on 0117 9426095 for further details.
• Henleaze Townswoman’s Guild (Mornings) meet at The Eastfield Inn, Henleaze Road on the third Thursday of every month from 10am to 12noon. Call Elaine Anderson on 0117 9075279 for further information.
• Book Group @ Westbury Library - If you love reading come down and join in, meetings are every last Thursday of the month from 2.30pm to 4pm. For more information call Sue on 0117 9594365
• Alicat Children and Theatre (4-11 years) at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 4pm. Tel: 07917 626388
• Embroidery Club at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 8pm. Tel: 0117 9501743
• Henleaze & District Flower Club meet on the second and fourth Thursday of the month at Bradbury Hall, Waterford Road, Henleaze. New members are always welcome. The second Thursdays are Flower demonstrations and the fourth are practise classes.
• The Friendly Club meets every Thursday from 2-4pm (except August and mayjor holidays) in the Methodist Church Hall, Westbury on Trym. We are a lively group of older people who meet to chat, play Scrabble and card games. Regular trips out and entertainments are arranged plus we have delicious tea and biscuits for only £1! Do come and make some new friends. Transport can be sometimes arranged. Contact 0117 9508644.
• Dance Classes with Cressida, 11am-12pm at St Peter’s Church, The Drive, Henleaze. If you love dancing come along to our weekly class, learning the basics of a single new dance every week! Dances include Flamenco, Bollywood, Cha Cha, Salsa, Samba, Charleston, Jazz and more! All dances are beginners level and particularly suitable for the over 40’s. More information www.clubcubana.com or 0117 3309549. £5.50 drop in (or £25 for the course).
• Drop-In Healing Centre at The Friends Meeting House, 126 Hampton Road, Redland, BS6 6JE. Thursdays from 5.00pm to 6.30pm. Run by Bristol Healing Group on a donation basis and supported by members of NFSH The Healing Trust. Healing is beneficial for well-being and health, helping you to relax and feel better. Come along and try a healing session, everyone is welcome. For more information phone 0117 9820184.
• Ladies Keep Fit, Thursdays 10:00 - 11:00 am, at St Peter's Church Hall, Henleaze - with NEW INSTRUCTOR.
This friendly session, which has a dance element to it, is suitable for all ages, levels, and abilities, including the older adult or young mum, who wants to maintain their general fitness, mobility, range of movement, and well being. New members are always welcome.
£5:00 per class, pay as you go - which includes refreshments.
Ring 01454 618488, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or look up the website www.exercisewithlailibrooks.com for full information; or just turn up.
• Flowers by arrangement Is a new informal supper group, meeting the first Thursday of each month, 6.15-9.00pm Kondi Braserrie Henleaze. Enjoy good food & company whilst creating your own floral arrangement. Contact Jane Voke for more info 0117 9622440
• Reading group at Westbury Library. Every Thursday 11am-12.30pm. Contact Emma Crago for more information on 07970247410 or email email@example.com.
• Stoke Lodge Ramblers welcomes new members. Small, friendly groups walk 8-10 miles on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month; 4-7 miles on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month. Please look at our website www.stokelodgeramblers.wordpress.com or contact Secretary 0117 9684140 for more information. Please come and try a walk or two before joining.
• Badminton (Ladies) at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 10am. Tel: 0117 9681759
• Bridge at Westbury-on-Trym Village Hall, 9.30am. Tel: 0117 9687140
• Country Market - Baked goods, garden produce and crafts. 10.30 - 11.30am at the Westbury On Trym Methodist Church Hall Tel : 0117 9687140
• Coffee and refreshments in the coffee bar at Trinity-Henleaze United Reformed Church, Waterford Road. 10am-12pm.
• Whiteladies Farmers’ and Fair Trading Market is now held EVERY Saturday to celebrate Green Capital, from 8.30am-2pm. Takes place at the junction of Whiteladies/Apsley/Burlington Roads. Stalls cover bread, cheese, local lamb and chicken, fish, preserves, cakes, sushi, local fruit and veg, wild food larder, and recycled tools, wooden items and much more.
• The Bristol and District branch of Parkinson’s UK meet every first Saturday of the month at St Monica Trust, Cote Lane, BS9 3UN from 10am -12noon. Carers, relatives, spouses, and people with Parkinson’s - all are welcome for a social and informative get-together, with a variety of speakers.
14th and 18th July.
• Henleaze Library. Chatterbooks Book Club for children, bringing Bristol University into your community. Sarah, an English Literature undergraduate runs a book club for children at Henleaze library on the second Saturday of every month from 10.30 – 11.30 am. A club for children to discuss books, make new friends and have some fun.
Please read the following notice before submitting an event to Henleaze & Westbury Voice - At Henleaze & Westbury Voice we are committed to keeping visitors up-to-date with all the events and activities going on in Henleaze, Westbury and the surrounding area. We do have some guidelines we would like you to follow regarding the kind of events and activities we will display on the calendar.
The kind of events we do want
We are happy to display the following types of events or activities;
- Community events
- Public meetings and consultations
- Charity events
- School events
- One-off activities (for example those aimed at kids during the school holidays)
- Exhibitions and cultural events
- Gigs and concerts
- Club events
The kind of events we don't want
We are sorry but we will are not able display the following types of events or activities;
- Business events (such as sales or discount events)
- Weekly activities (such as classes or club meetings)
- Private events (such as birthdays or weddings)